- 7 pm
- 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month, unless otherwise posted
- Rockland Town Hall
242 Union Street
H. Bernard Monahan Hearing Room
Rockland, MA 02370
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The Board of Selectmen is composed of five members who are elected for three year terms.
View more information about the members of the Board of Selectmen on our Onboard website.
As the Chief Elected and Executive Officers of the Town, the Selectmen are vested with all the municipal authority not specifically retained by the Town’s legislative body, Town Meeting, or other elected Town boards. The Selectmen appoint a Town Administrator who is responsible for the day to day management of the Town.
The Board of Selectmen set the policies and procedures governing all Town boards and officials under their direct supervision. The Selectmen:
- Appoint members of most of the official boards and commissions
- Conduct show cause hearings on license violations and dog complaints
- Hold public hearings on a wide range of issues which affect the quality of life in the Town
- Issue the warrants for the annual and special Town Meetings
- Initiate legislative policy by inserting articles into the warrants for these meetings and then implement the votes subsequently adopted
- Prepare and set fiscal guidelines for the annual operating budget and make recommendations to the annual and special Town Meetings
- Represent the Town before the General Court and enforce the Town’s charter, by-laws and regulations
The Selectmen also serve as the licensing authority, responsible for issuing a variety of licenses ranging from common victualer licenses, automatic amusement devices, and class I, II and III automobile licenses to yard sale permits. In all they issue well over 20 different categories of licenses and permits.
The Board of Selectmen approves licenses and permits for many activities, both business and residential in the Town. The Selectmen also try to resolve disputes between neighbors, neighbors and businesses, or residents and the Town subject to their legal authority.