Town Clerk

The Town Clerk’s Office hours:

 Mon - Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm
 Open until 8:00pm on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays Sept-June
 Closed on Fridays in July and August

Business certificates – all owners must be present to sign the form at the Town Clerk’s Office, unless the signatures are notarized, and then the form can be mailed to our office.

• Information and questions about business certificates

 Business Certificate Application

Use the above link to create an account to apply on-line.

• Statement of Change

Dog Licensing

A current rabies certificate must be on file with the Clerks Office.

Late fees applied automatically starting May 1st (late fee $25.00).

PLEASE NOTE:  "Service Animal" is defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.  Emotional support dogs are not included in this definition.


NOTICE: Effective August 1, 2023, marriage intentions are by appointment only.  Please call the Town Clerk's Office to make an appointment.  781-871-1874 x 1002

Applying for a Marriage License (to be married) – You and your future spouse must appear in person to sign the required forms. The 3-day waiting period to obtain the license begins once all materials and payment have been finalized. Licenses are valid for 60 days.  The last available appointment is 3:30 p.m. unless of course you come in on the 1st or 3rd Tuesday, than it is 7:00 p.m.

You’ll need to provide:    

  • birth certificate    
  • your Social Security number      
  • $30.00 (which includes a certified copy)
  • The name you’ll use after the wedding if you’ve decided to change it

 • Certified Copy of your Marriage – see Vital Records section

Marriage Ceremonies – will be provided by appointment only. Email to set up a date and time (after you have begun the intentions process)

Notary Services – A notary does NOT view the documents and its contents or give legal advice - they simply witness a signature. Any document to be notarized must contain the appropriate notarial certificate on it already, should not require additional witnesses and must not already be signed. 

Oath of Office – if you have been appointed to a board or committee and have not taken your oath of office, please email to make an appointment & for instructions.

Zoning / ZBA Appeals 

Filing Applications – this should be done through Zoning Coordinator Deb Shettlesworth.

No Appeal Decisions – decisions that have not been appealed will be available 21 business day later.

You must provide the Building Department with a copy of the receipt after filing with the Registry of Deeds.

Filing an Appeal – A copy of an appeal can be submitted at the clerk’s officeOur office will print and date/time stamp the appeal.

Public Records Requests -  The public records law allows for 10 business days and in some cases a 15-day extension to provide a response for the requested records. Additional information can be found on our website by clicking here or the public records access guide.

Vital Records

Online Ordering – be sure our office has your record before ordering – see notes below

Birth Certificate –  Rockland will only have your record if you were born in Rockland or your parents were living here at the time of your birth. We will not have your record if you were born outside of Massachusetts.

Death Certificate – Rockland will only have this record if the deceased passed away in Rockland or they were on record as living here at the time of their death. We will not have this record if they passed away outside of Massachusetts

Marriage Certificates – we encourage you to email before ordering marriage certificates online to ensure Rockland has your record. Rockland will only have your record if you filed your intentions to be married here.