Firearms Licensing

Rockland Police Massachusetts

Effective 7/01/23 The Rockland Police Department will no longer be accepting payments for the firearms licensing process, All payments must be made at the Rockland Town Hall.

Application Process and Procedure

  1. Fully complete and provide a Massachusetts LTC/FID/Machine gun License application.
  2. Complete the Massachusetts approved firearms safety course (to include live fire component)
  3. A 100.00 application fee is required – check or money order made payable to the Town of Rockland, Payments can be made at the Rockland Town hall Clerks office. Exemptions for individuals over 70. Fee for the renewal process do apply. Please provide previous LTC or FID # for voucher process  (proof of payment must be provided).
  1. Please schedule by phone, email or in person an appointment with Firearms licensing with either Officers DiRenzo or Nota. Please remember to have all required documentation with you at your appointment (Completed application, any required certificates, proof of payment, etc.).


Fee requirements are non refundable

$100.00 For new applications

$25.00 Under 18 years of age for FID card

$25.00 For full time law enforcement Officers outside this agency

$25.00 For retired law enforcement Officers

No fee for persons over 70 years of age upon renewal


Applying for a New or Renewal License to Carry Firearms or Firearms Identification Card (FID)

Renewal Applicants

An appointment must be made with a firearms licensing official to renew your license. Call Officer Jeffrey Direnzo at 781-871-3890, ext. 124 or Officer Mark Nota at 781-871-3890 ext 150  and leave your name and phone number. Office Hours are 9 am to 2 pm based on the availability of the Licensing officials. You will be required to show proof of residency in Rockland, and have a money order in the amount of $100 payable to the Town Of Rockland. Cash/credit cards/personal checks are not accepted. 

Note: For new Rockland residents that are renewing a License to Carry or FID issued by another agency, you are required to show proof of completing an approved Firearms Safety Course which must include a Live Fire Component or proof that you held a license prior to June 1, 1998.


Please review all the information under Renewal Applicants to answer most questions. All other questions regarding your LTC/FID application or other related licensing issues can be directed to Officer Jeffrey Direnzo at 781-871-3890, ext. 124 Officer Mark Nota at 781-871-3890 ext  150 or email Jeffrey Direnzo or email Mark Nota

Check FID Issue Date

Important Note: If you have an old version of the FID card, (issued prior to 1998) it is expired, despite the fact it says that it never expires. There is no exception for the possession of any firearms, rifles or shotguns under an expired FID card. Do not carry or transport any arms out of your home under any circumstances. We would advise you to secure any weapons with a properly licensed friend, relative or firearms dealer until such time as you obtain the proper permit.

Steps to Follow in Applying for a License (New Applicants)

License to Carry

License to Carry allows the holder to purchase, possess and transport Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns, as well as their respective feeding devices. It further allows the bearer to carry a concealed handgun in public. This is the only license that allows this. A License to Carry is a "discretionary issue" permit, with part of the criteria being the issuing authority's (Chief of Police) determination that the applicant is a "suitable" person. The Chief of Police also has the authority to impose any restrictions he deems proper on the terms of the license.

Firearms Identification Card (FID)

FID allows the holder to purchase, possess and transport non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. It also allows a handgun to be kept in the home or place of business only if the handgun was purchased with a Permit to Purchase. It does not, under any circumstances, allow the carrying or transport of any handgun in public by the FID holder.

Firearms Identification Card (FID Restricted)

As of January 2015, a permit is no longer required to purchase, possess and carry aerosol incapacitating sprays such as "Mace" or pepper spray, if you are 18 years of age or older. Persons 15 years of age to 17 years of age are allowed to purchase, possess and carry aerosol incapacitating sprays such as "Mace" or pepper spray with written parent authorization and completion of application. These items can only be purchased through an ammunition dealer licensed in Massachusetts.